Friday, March 11, 2011

Beach Bum

In the place where I come from, Nebraska, people don't really go on winter getaways.  Maybe some do, but because we didn't have spring break growing up, it seems to me that a winter trip is truly the ultimate luxury.   In Minnesota, it's pretty common to take a break from the howling winds, dismal gray skies, and the 27 inches of snow and retreat to somewhere exotic...Mexico, Florida, the Caribbean.  In our case, my husband and I have taken a little jaunt down to Ft. Myers Beach, Florida.  I while I am not a person who adores hot weather and the sun, I must admit, I'm loving our few days down here.
The weather has been perfect--low 80's, lots of sun and a nice cool breeze to keep you from noticing that you've been out waaaay to long.  We've walked on the beach and ridden bikes, had amazing food, and spent time enjoying family.
We're staying at grandma's condo (my husband's grandma, that is.  As he says, "You've married up.")  It is about 15 steps from the water, and super comfortable.  We've been sharing the space with my mother-in-law, and enjoying the very laid back days.

Here are some of the highlights:

We were welcomed with fresh shrimp cocktail and a beautiful sunset.
And went to a Twins' Spring Training Game (I love that they are in the "Grapefruit League")
A Leige Waffle (yes, it's there, under the whipped cream)


And a tart, tree ripened grapefruit for breakfast.

It was a great getaway, and I'll miss the sun.  But as always, it feels good to be home.  I'm not sure I could ever live where the weather is so warm all the time.  I would miss the winter.  And the humidity make my hair do weird things.

1 comment:

  1. Amanda, this looks fabulous! What a perfect vacation. Florida always seems to be a hit or miss for weather, and it seems you hit the most perfect week.

    And! That bread book you posted about earlier...holy cow that looks amazing. I'm going to have to find that one at the library sometime. I could get into bread if it wasn't quite such an ordeal.

    Anyhoo...happy Friday night :)
    Joyfully,
    becca

    ReplyDelete