Saturday, February 19, 2011

The Soul Sisterhood Retreat


Last September, I began dreaming about a camp experience for girls, ages 11-14, that would allow them to explore their creativity, make new friends, and grow their faith in God.  One day, I was out for coffee with my friend Elizabeth, and I was telling her about my idea.  In a very matter-of-fact way, Elizabeth looked at me and said, "We could do that. I'd help you."  And as she said it, I thought to myself, "You're right.  We could do this."
That was 6 months ago, and now the camp is quickly becoming a reality.  We've named it The Soul Sisterhood Retreat.  We have brochures and registration forms.  We have a Facebook page, and information on the web.  We have camp dates reserved (June 12-17), staff is taking shape, and we have already have 8 girls signed up.  Our first marketing campaign went out last Friday, and the response has been so positive. Ministry colleagues, moms, girls, everyone who we've talked to about it, thinks it's awesome.  I'd have to agree, but then again I'm a little biased. ;-)  It is so affirming to see people's responses and already have so many girls signed up.

Coming up in April, we are even going to do a fundraiser for the camp--a women's day complete with entertainment, a dessert buffet, silent auction and raffle prizes.  So much good stuff all to support this new venture--and hopefully make it something that grows and gets even better year by year!  I am working on a quilt right now for the silent auction...unfortunately, I'm so in love with it that I don't want to donate it!  My husband suggested I make another one for the auction and keep this one.  I don't know.  It seems like more of a sacrifice if I give the one I love up...

Take a moment to check out the details at our website, here. If you'd like to support the ministry financially or by donating supplies, let me know. We can use your support in so many different ways.

No comments:

Post a Comment