Thursday, January 20, 2011

A Few of My Favorite Things...

This time of year always makes me feel even more homebody-ish than I already am (hard to believe that's possible!) But when it is -70 degrees outside all I really want to do is be surrounded by things that I love that are comfy, cozy, and warm.
This past Monday, I had a special Girls Day for my middle school ladies, because they were out of school.  As a part of our devotions, we asked the question: What comes to mind when you think of the word 'comfort'?  The girls responded with things like fuzzy socks, pj's, hot cocoa, a fire in the fireplace, snuggies, macaroni and cheese, mittens, Uggs, and God (thank goodness someone said God).  The girls were right on though--those are totally the things that make us feel comforted, warm and happy. 
So, in no particular order, here are some of my favorite things that help to make these cold, snowy days more comforting.
  • My fair isle pattern slippers
  • Gray cashmere sweater
  • Pancakes for supper
  • White chocolate mochas with cinnmon
  • A delicious dinner with heaty soup and candles
  • Quilts--cuddling under them and making them
  • A good book (just finished Tomato Rhapsody by Adam Schell--hilarious, and set in sunny Italy)
  • Great Music (this week I've been listening to Nora Jane Struthers and The Secret Sisters)
  • Homemade bread
  • flannel pants, flannel sheets
  • My bed warmer (find instructions for making your own here Cozy Bed Warmers)
  • Favorite love story movies (Amelie, Pride & Prejudice, P.S. I Love You)
  • Beautiful flower-y things (like the vintage trays my friend Melanie gave me for Christmas)

What makes you feel cozy, comforted and warm?  I'd love to hear your go to comfort favorites!

1 comment:

  1. I'll ditto you on the hearty soup and add my heated throw, my new slanket (don't even ask, just trust me it's awesome), and a good Nora Roberts novel :)

    And now, I might have to have pancakes soon, you've given me a craving :)!

    ReplyDelete